Saturday, April 7, 2012

Lesson 12: Conflict Resolution

In your blog (Reflective Journal), Record an example of conflict you experienced in your reflective journal and describe how you would handle the situation as a nurse manager?
I have not had a ton of experience working in the healthcare field. Only recently, was I offered a position at a hospital. Last summer I did work for several months at a long term care/rehabilitation facility. I was able to witness firsthand some of the conflict between coworkers. Luckily, for me I was never really involved in any of them. This could be because I only I worked there for a short time. Anyways, what I witnessed was a lot of gossiping and judgment going on behind nurses backs. Especially, as I was training and orienting for my job I witnessed this. One nurse would give me and my preceptor report and then once they left, the preceptor would then give me the reasons they did not particularly care for that previous nurse. I experienced this with several of the nurses telling me things like this. As a nurse manager, I would be horrified at this behavior. It is essential in healthcare to work as a team. If you cannot trust your coworkers, how can you possibly work as a team to treat the patients. If I were the nurse manager and heard about these types of things going on, I would make it clear to the staff that if there was any conflict going on to try to resolve it first with the person. I would stress to not go around discussing the problem to everyone else. If the conflict could not be resolved on a personal level, then to discuss it with me the nurse manager. I would then try to mediate a conflict resolution. If someone consistently was involved with conflict and instigating things at work, I would terminate them. The team does not need someone who is constantly backbiting and gossiping to bring the team down. There are plenty of other people willing to come in and do the job correctly.

No comments:

Post a Comment